Chris Meale - CRL Project Director
Chris Meale has been the Project Director of the Auckland City Rail Link since 2012.
He is responsible for the establishment and direction of the CRL project team to undertake planning, property acquisition, design, tender, construction testing and commissioning to service this major transport infrastructure project.
Areas of Expertise
Extensive international design and construction management experience in the property, electricity, and transport infrastructure sectors, with special expertise in the leadership and coordination of major projects, and construction and consultancy businesses.
- Director, Metro PM NZ Limited – 2009 - current
- Director, Hyder Consulting Australia Pty Limited – 2006 - 2009
- Group Director, Lincolne Scott Australia Pty Limited – 1992 - 2003
- Managing Director, Lincolne Scott Australia Pty Limited – 1992 - 2003
- External Director (NED), Design Power NZ Limited (ECNZ) – 1996 - 1998
Other Executive Roles
Programme Director - City Rail Expansion Sydney, Transport for NSW
This program comprised the development of a new rail network expansion initiative, involving the planning and design development of a new rail line and stations beneath Sydney’s CBD extending across the harbour and connecting to the existing rail network as a major input into “Sydney’s Rail Future” – now, Sydney Metro.
Director Design and Engineering - Sydney Metro
Leadership of the Design and Engineering group managing multidisciplinary consultant teams of approximately 200 delivering design and contract documents for a new Metro for Sydney.
Hyder Consulting Australia Pty Limited - Regional Director- Major Projects
Leadership of Hyder Australis’s major infrastructure projects across the Australian business.
Chris has held other leadership roles in a number of other rail projects including the Chatswood to Epping Rail Expansion, Town Hall Station Redevelopment NSW, Parramatta Transport Interchange Redevelopment NSW.
Hyder Consulting Australia Pty Limited – State Director NSW
Responsible for Hyder’s NSW business of over 300 staff providing multidisciplinary engineering, environmental and planning services to a wide range of transport infrastructure, building, and mining resource sector projects.
Group Director - Lincolne Scott Consulting Engineers
Responsible, at different times, for the company's operations in NZ and later Sydney, providing Mechanical, Electrical, ESD, Fire, Communications and Security services for a broad range of projects including:
- Retail Centres
- Hotels and resorts
- Commercial building
- Industrial facilities, and
- Transport infrastructure.
During this period, he also served as External Director on the Board of Design Power Limited, a subsidiary of company of ECNZ, until its sale to PB Limited. Design Power undertook a wide range of projects, in New Zealand for organisations such as Transpower, ECNZ, the Dairy Industry, and internationally, particularly geothermal projects in Indonesia.
Reference projects included:
- Parliament Buildings refurbishment
- Porirua & Wanganui shopping centre
- Millennium Hotel Queenstown
- Vero building Auckland, Sky City Casino, Refurbishment of Auckland Town Hall, Auckland High Court, and Civic Theatre.
In Sydney, projects included:
- Epping to Chatswood Rail project
- Parramatta Transport Centre redevelopment
- Resmed Medical Production Facility
- Optus telecommunications office park
- Sydney University Campus redevelopment.
Ministry of Works and Development
Various executive and project roles over twenty years, predominately in the power sector, and infrastructure sector. Executive roles included:
- District Mechanical and Electrical Engineer, Auckland
- Project Mechanical and Electrical Engineer, Upper Waitaki Power Development.
Project Engineer Roles
- Inverkip Power Station Scotland
- Fawley Power Station, England
- Tongariro Power Station NZ.